After the storm

We know extended power outages can be very difficult. Here is a list of resources for members who need help to fully recover from the recent storms.

Finding Help in Your Community

Insurance Coverage Cheat Sheet

  • Most standard property insurance policies cover structure and contents damage from wind/tornado, water, and hail after certain deductibles are met. A deductible is how much you have to pay out of pocket before insurance begins.
  • Flood insurance is not included in a standard property (home, condo, rental and business) insurance policy and must be purchased separately.
  • A condo policy insures your contents and only the portion of the building you own
  • (such as the interior walls) independent of the other owners.
  • Renters insurance covers the contents of your rented property but not the structure itself.
  • Your insurance will pay for personal property damage either as actual cash value (no more than the value on the day the item was destroyed) or replacement cost (you can replace with a comparable new item at today’s price).
  • Reasonable after-the-fact expenses are generally covered up to set time frames and amounts: fire department charges, additional living expenses, temporary repairs, debris removal, damaged trees and shrub removal, and storage of personal property.
  • Roof, gutter, siding and window damage is generally covered as is leaking from interior walls and ceiling from seeping rain. Many insurance policies have a separate deductible specific to wind/hail damage that is either a flat dollar amount or a percentage amount of what the property is insured for.
  • Food spoilage is normally not covered if the cause of loss is an off-premises power outage (downed power lines, etc.). Some insurers offer refrigerated property coverage that insures frozen/ refrigerated items due to loss of power.
  • If a tree falls on your home, garage or fence your policy will pay to repair damage to the structure and contents, as well as tree removal costs. Debris removal costs may be limited if the tree does not fall on other property. Typical policies will not pay to replace a tree, but may if the tree is struck by lightning, whether it falls or not.
  • Coverage for sewer drain backup is not included or is limited in a typical policy and must be added.
  • Vehicles damaged by disasters and weather-related events are typically covered under the “other-than-collision” (also known as “comprehensive”) portion of an auto insurance policy. This is optional coverage that would need to be purchased.

Additional Resources

American Red Cross

The thousands of staff and volunteers of the Red Cross are there for you with emergency aid when you need it most, and also advice and assistance to help you recover from a disaster or become better prepared to face one in the future.

Learn more about Storm Recovery

The Ohio Department of Insurance created a toolkit to help Ohioans be safe and financially prepared for severe weather and understand how to navigate the recovery process.

Power Outage Safety Tips

We do our best to avoid power outages but sometimes mother nature has other plans. Here are our best tips for powering through outages. From emergency supplies to backup generators, learn ways to keep your family safe and comfortable when storms occur.