Message from Member Services
Solar energy is a hot topic in the electric cooperative world, and we want to ensure our members have the information they need to make an informed decision regarding this type of investment. Rooftop solar panels are decreasing in cost, and more companies are offering solar panel installation in our member communities. As attractive and popular as rooftop solar may appear, we want our members to fully understand the true costs, the operational reality of this form of energy, and actual energy savings.
We’re here to help.
To determine whether rooftop solar is right for their particular situation, homeowners must undertake their own due diligence. The Energy Cooperative can offer a candid assessment of your specific situation. After all, we strive to find new ways to help you use energy more efficiently.
Is rooftop solar right for you?
- To help determine whether rooftop solar is right for you, The Energy Cooperative’s energy advisors will look at the:
- Overall energy efficiency of the home/building
- Age and pitch of the roof
- Orientation of the sun in relation to the home/building
- Tree coverage near the home/building
- Weather patterns for the region
Unlike a solar company that has one objective––to sell their products and services––we can look at the total energy picture to help you determine the best options for your home. While rooftop solar certainly works for many people, it’s not the answer for all. When helping co-op members determine whether rooftop solar is right for them, a co-op energy advisor will also discuss the many financial considerations:
- Is there a large, up-front payment required or are fees spread out over time?
- Will the homeowner own the panels or will they be leased?
- Are there any hidden costs, i.e., does the roof need to be replaced before installing the panels?
- Are there ongoing maintenance fees?
- Are there rebates or other financial incentives available?
- Is the estimated energy savings worth the investment?
- Is it more cost effective to invest in other energy saving measures?
Most importantly, our energy advisor can provide perspective on the total energy puzzle. They can help your family determine whether rooftop solar is the best choice given your current energy consumption, the home “envelope,” age and efficiency of the HVAC system, and home site.