We focus on providing our members with safe, reliable and affordable energy. In addition to our core mission, it is also important for us to develop a relationship with our members. This is important because we want you to understand the level of service we provide, and know what to expect as you interact with our employees. When you get to know your cooperative, it is easier for you to recognize someone who is attempting to act on our behalf yet has no affiliation with The Energy Cooperative. Unfortunately, scammers are targeting utilities. Cooperatives have not been an exception to this disturbing trend. Part of our job to spread awareness about scams to our members, helping you to recognize and avoid them. If you receive a call or visit from a scammer claiming to be an employee of The Energy Cooperative, immediately report it at us by calling 1-800-255-6815.
One of the most common scams is to use “spoofing” app to create fake caller ID numbers. This could trick you into thinking you are being contacted by The Energy Cooperative. If you suspect this is the case, hang up and call us at 1-800-255-6815. Our member service representatives can identify if one of our employees has contacted you. Scammers often claim a member is behind paying their bill and request payment immediately before their service is disconnected. It is common for the scammer to request payment in person or over the phone, and they might suggest you purchase a re-loadable debit card immediately. Some scammers encourage the member to deliver them cash in person. Others come to the member’s front door and claim they need to read their meter for money. Our employees do not accept payment in the field. Instead, we ask members to mail their payments; pay them in person at The Energy Cooperative office; pay over the phone with our secure automated payment system; or pay it online through SmartHub.
We do not want our members to fall victim to these utility scams. If you are ever unsure if you are being scammed from someone claiming to be an employee of The Energy Cooperative, give us a call. We are here to help.
Important Tips for Avoiding Scams
- Our employees have our official logo on their hats, vehicles, and employee identification.
- Never give out or confirm confidential, personal, or financial information over the phone. The Energy Cooperative will never call you and request that type of information over the phone.
- If you believe you are being scammed, collect as much information about the situation as possible, including the phone number the scammer asks you to call back, and report it to us immediately at 1-800-255-6815.
- If you have any questions about your payment or bill status, please call us.
- Remember that scammers can make their caller ID look like it is The Energy Cooperative calling, call us to ensure safety.
- Never let anyone claiming to be an employee of The Energy Cooperative into or around your home without asking to see their issued photo ID (or call us at 1-800-255-6815 to confirm).