From Single Phase To Three Phase At 200 mph
By Gary Baker, Director of Marketing & Public Relations
Imagine driving a car from Newark, Ohio to Las Vegas, Nevada in less than 9 hours. Or picture yourself driving from Newark to Chicago in 105 minutes. This would be possible only if you drove an average of 200 mph. Most of us will never travel that fast in a car. But Larry Morgan has done it, one-quarter mile at a time, thousands of times. Larry spent 30 years as a National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) Pro-Stock racer and is one of the most successful drivers of all time.
Larry Morgan still enjoys getting behind the wheel and traveling across the country to NHRA races. His major focus, however, is his custom CNC machine shop. Larry Morgan Racing builds racing engine blocks, heads, manifolds and most any custom motor parts. Walking into the business, you are greeted with an impressive number of trophies and awards before heading into the machine shop. Larry earned 10 NHRA Pro Stock victories, 19 NHRA event victories, and 48 NHRA final round appearances.
Here are a few of the many championships Larry Morgan earned as driver:
- $25,000 Mr. Gasket Challenge three times.
- $50,000 Budweiser Shootout
- 2015: Charlotte Four-Wide Nationals winner
- 2012: Top ten finish
- 2010: Debuted Ford Mustang and reached finals at Summit Nationals
- 2009: Raced to Victory at Las Vegas; Posted career-best speed
- 2008: Logged three runner-up finishes, including Indianapolis
- 2007: Posted career best time competing in the inaugural Countdown to the Championship.
- 2006: Runner-up finish at St. Louis and reached three semifinal rounds
- 2005: Reached semifinal round in Englishtown
- 2004: No. 1 qualifying position at Atlanta, snapping an 11-race top qualifying streak by Greg Anderson; First top-five points finish since 1993
- 2002: Won first race, Sonoma, since 1994; earned a $25,000 bonus for winning the Motel 6 “Who Got The Light” award for posting the smallest margin of victory during the season (.0002 seconds)
- 2001: Debuted the Dodge Neon at Denver.
Larry’s love for machines started long before his professional racing career began. As a young boy, he took apart the engine of a riding lawn mower and completely rebuilt it (with more power). Larry laughed as he told us he rebuilt the motor until it went 30 mph. Larry’s love for speed has served him well—he made a career out of it. Larry Morgan Racing manufactures quality custom parts for pro-stock, pro-mod, pro-nitrous, pro-boost, top sportsman, top dragster, pro extreme and grudge racing.