For Your Safety and Ours

A portable generator can seem like a lifesaver during a power outage for powering home medical equipment, refrigerators/freezers, and water pumps. Safe use protects you and those restoring power.

Tips for safely using your portable generator:

  • Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions before running the generator and the maintenance schedule after use to keep it in peak performance and operating safely.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, garage, basement, or any enclosed area. Generators give off carbon monoxide. Fatal fumes can build up and neither an open window nor a fan can provide enough fresh air.
  • Use battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors inside your home near where the generator is running as fumes can be pulled inside.
  • Generators often run on gasoline, and fumes can start fires. Wait at least 2 to 5 minutes for your generator to cool before adding fresh gasoline. Have a charged fire extinguisher nearby. Add fuel stabilizer if you won’t be using the generator for more than 30 days.
  • Never plug your generator directly into electrical wiring. This can energize power lines and endanger line workers. Have a qualified electrician install a power transfer switch.
  • Protect your generator from exposure to wet conditions such as rain, snow, or sprinklers, as high voltage and water don’t mix.
  • Never use near flammable materials and never place anything on or under the generator. Keep the area clean and empty.
  • Never let children or pets near the generator or extension cords.




A Safer Way To Connect Your Generator

The Energy Cooperative offers Generlink™ to all of our electric members. This is a safe and simple way to connect your portable generator during a power outage.

Contact member service at (800) 255-6815 to learn more about this safe option.